Friday, September 27, 2013

Fakebook

I recently discovered a new technological tool which I plan to implement into my classroom as I student teach. This semester, the first novel my eighth grade students will be reading is Of Mice and Men, which we plan on beginning the second week of October. While I personally find this to be a fantastic read, John Steinbeck being one of my favorite authors, I cannot be so sure that my students will feel the same way. For this reason, I have been searching for ideas to infuse into my lesson plans, so as to make the novel both more palatable, as well as relatable- even further, enjoyable!

From my research, I discovered a tool which many English teachers have been implementing with great success, called "Fake"book. Fakebook is a website that imitates Facebook in form, which I plan to use as a unit long project, which aims to focus on character development throughout the novel. While Of Mice and Men is primarily character driven, I believe that a lesson which focuses on analysis of these characters will be beneficial for students' overall understanding of Steinbeck's novel. By using this tool, I believe that the characters will come to life for students via Fakebook, a technology that will make characters and their development palatable and concrete.

My plan is to break up each class into six groups, one group per character (Lennie, George, Candy, Curly, Slim and Crooks). Each group will make a Fakebook for their character, each Fakebook consisting of a "profile picture", an "about me" section, "personal information" (name, age, employment, where they live, relationship status, ect.). The "about me" will be an elaborate written description in the voice of the character, also having specific requirements which will be met by the end of the project/novel. The "about me" will change and become more involved throughout the unit as the character progressively during reading-becoming more elaborate and "layered", along with their relationship with the character. By the end of the novel, the person viewing the profile should have a holistic understanding of the character which coincides with Steinbeck's depiction, according to the novel.

Each character, or group, will be required to post three "status updates" per week. The statuses posted will be direct quotes from the novel (said by their character), which students deem important to the plot, major themes present in the novel, as well as their character's development.

Fakebook allows the administrator (teacher) to link related pages with one another. Each character will "befriend" the remaining five characters, allowing groups to interact and submit posts to one another. I find this a very handy which can be a catalyst for students to think critically about their character, while they will have to pose thought provoking questions to one another each week , answering  the questions in they way which they believe their character would respond- empathizing with, as well as analyzing their characters motives and conflicts as if it were their own.

Any possible way to get students interested and engaged in the classroom is absolutely imperative, especially in an English classroom in which analysis is reached mainly through discussion (not to mention that English does not tend to be most students' favorite subject).The integration of technology in the classroom should be used, in my opinion, only when it is beneficial to students overall comprehension and engagement with the topic (teaching typing in first grade, for example, is unnecessary and excessive to me) and I believe that Fakebook can be used as an effective tool to promote productive group work, character analysis, and deciphering of themes and key elements, which makes it an effective technology to utilize within the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. What you have mentioned about FakeBook is very interesting. It looks like an effective tool to stimulate students' interest in English since many students like to communicate via Facebook. They may even enjoy doing discussion online through FakeBook since it is similar to what they do in their free time. Thank you for sharing this. Although I am a Math major, I may also be able to integrate FakeBook into my lessons. You have mentioned a very detailed plan on what you plan to integrate into your classroom. I also think that in-class discussion is also crucial. Being able to communicate your ideas with others is an important part of learning. I think that FakeBook might actually take away some of that since discussions are done online, and students are not actually talking to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually introduced to FakeBook last week in one of my classes. This idea is absolutely wonderful because students are able to place themselves in the characters' shoes. The beauty of FakeBook is that it can be used for any subject, not just English. Creating a FakeBook page will be enjoyable for the students, which may even make them forget that it is a required assignment.
    Working with technology will also benefit the students, especially those who are not familiar with social media websites, because they will acquire new skills.
    However, using FakeBook for assignments might be limited. Schools prohibit several websites from being accessed. In order to used FakeBook, the teacher would either have to request access to the page or maintain FakeBook strictly to be homework. This could be problematic because if a teacher is not able to access FakeBook in school, he or she cannot review and discuss in class what is being posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! What a great way to get the students engaged in the story. I think you have done a fantastic job in outlining this lesson using "Fakebook". I am sure the students will look forward to creating their "Fakebook" page which will lead them to great group discussions about how they should portray their character and what particular quotes they should post. I also think the groups interacting with each character by asking questions will give the students a chance to analyze all of the characters more deeply as well as their own. Hopefully more English teachers will learn about this interesting technology and use it.

    ReplyDelete