Friday, November 29, 2013

Google Docs

The middle school I am conducting my student teaching experience has employed a school wide use of Google Drive. Starting in sixth grade, students are given a Google Drive account which they are to utilize throughout their middle school career. In order to orient students with the multiple uses of a Google account, such as sharing documents to a teacher, fellow students, editing and working as a group and more, sixth graders spend a class period in the computer lab where the computer educator teaches students how to navigate their new account. Google accounts are a very useful educational tool, especially in the English classroom. When students are assigned a written homework assignment, essay response, or group project, our students simply share their documents with my cooperating teacher. Documents can be printed out and edited, or simply edited via computer using Google editors. It is also useful to use Google, while all documents are time stamped, and a teacher can see if an essay was edited last, or can even set a time limit for sending in essays or written work. Students can also collaborate for group work using this tool, while edits are done in real time. For example, I recently had students conduct a mock trial in our Language Arts classroom. While students worked in class to gather their evidence, many groups decided to collect their evidence and create their arguments on Google Docs, editing and adding their personal contributions on a document which they eventually shared with my cooperating teacher once it was completed. I find this to be a useful tool to integrate into my future classroom, while it eliminated paper usage, makes organization very simple, and also creates a sense of student independence and initiative as well as room for collaboration and creativity.

3 comments:

  1. I am also doing my field experience in a Middle School that uses Google Docs. I think it is a great resource for the students and the teacher. Like you said, students can share their documents with the teacher and their classmates. This way the teacher can check the students work and the students can collaborate with other group members. Another great resource on Google is Google Hangout. The sixth grade class that I was placed in uses this resource during their Argument writing Unit. I recently witnessed a Google Hangout the students had with experts on the topic they were researching. It is a great tool because the students get first hand responses of expert in the field they are researching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The school where I am conducting my field work does not use Google Drive and I have never used it myself, but I see my younger brother on it all the time. He loves using it, especially when he has to create a project. Since he attends a magnet school, and several students live miles away from school, it is sometimes difficult for them to meet after school to work on the project. He says that through Google Drive, it is so much easier to complete the work than over the phone. It is important to keep tools such as this one in mind in case our future students are in the same position; we need to provide them with tools that will assist them when working. Also, it is great because students can sign on and sign off, and their work will be saved; they can access it from anywhere.

    ReplyDelete